We seem to always be surprised that proven liars keep lying. Maybe we are too honest, maybe we are desperate for honesty, and we certainly should expect it, but sometimes, we just need to accept that liars lie. They will keep lying. Expecting truth from established liars is the height of stupidity.
Putin and his mouthpiece Lavrov lied – provably – already about the following:
- Denial about Russian invasion of Crimea.
- Denial about Russian invasion of Donbass.
- Denial about planning invasion of Ukraine.
- Denial about targeting civilian infrastructure.
- Lying about Nazi character of Ukraine.
- Denial about danger from Ukraine.
- Lying about the West promising not to expand NATO.
- Lying about NATO being a threat.
- Denial about having guaranteed the territorial integrity of Ukraine after Ukraine gave up their nuclear weapons (Budapest Memorandum).
- Denial of Stalin’s brutality in his attempts to rehabilitate the butcher.
- Denial of poisoning and killing of opponents.
- Calling the collapse of the USSR the greatest tragedy of the 20th century is a denial of its evil nature.
This is only a brief list. Putin and Lavrov and their henchmen keep lying. They do not want peace. They want Ukraine. They lie.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, thrice, how any more times – we should be ashamed. We have been believing Putin’s lies for too long.
Why do we still try?